Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I-600 in Haiti

Tony and I took a whirlwind trip to Haiti to file our I-600 with the American embassy in Port au Prince. This is the paperwork we file so the American government can assess whether or not the boys are actually "orhpaned." I was a bit anxious about going to PaP as I've heard many not so fun stories from others about their visits there. Surprisingly, all went as well as things can go in Haiti.

We left Saturday and had a 5 hour layover in Los Angeles. We took advantage of it and met Shannon and Todd at the airport and they so graciously took us out to eat. It just left me longing for more time with my oldest friend.

We were met (thankfully) at the airport in PaP on Sunday morning and were taken straight to our guesthouse. If you're ever in the neighborhood, I highly recommend it: Heartline Househttp://haiti-guesthouse.com/. We were the only ones staying there that night, so we had the whole place to ourselves all evening. And it was surprisingly relaxing and enjoyable with a private room and barbecue chicken dinner.

Up at 5:00 AM on Monday to get to the embassy for our 7:00 appt. We were allowed in the embassy about 8:00. Long story short....about 4 hours of waiting for about 15 minutes worth of business.

Now the exciting part! We are off to Cap Haitien to spend a couple days with the boys. Hunter and Jillian so graciously brought them to the airport to meet us and to our surprise they came running to us yelling "Mama!, Papa!"...tears coming again just thinking about it. The entire visit we spent skipping school, coloring, playing games, making kites, going to the beach, and just getting to hang out with them and get to know the two of them even better. They are just two fun, sweet, little boys...can I just say? We ABSOLUTELY cannot wait to get them home!




Tony, being the servant that he is, had to fit in some type of labor while we were there...don't think he can go to Haiti without that experience under his belt.

Sam wearing Tony's sunglasses and hat...Alto being a boy and Dalencia. Utah people need to note Sam's shirt.

Sam showing off his splits. Always a show-off!

Laughina, Sam, and Caleb (Gerome's baby) I learned the hard way that Sam, although he loves babies, does not always know the correct way to handle them.


Overall, this trip which I expected to be highly stressful was surprisingly relaxing...a much needed time with my husband as well as with my two boys.
In Florida for the day!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know that you were able to accomplish the business that you went there to do. Also THRILLED to hear how great your time was with the boys. It brought tears to my eyes to hear that they called you mama and Papa! So happy for you all and lots of prayers for your continued journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya,

    Your boys are precious and I love that Sam is sporting Aggie gear. Won't it be fun once they get their first chance to play in the snow in Logan? So thankful that God made your paths smooth on this trip.

    Love you guys!
    Lisa

    P.S. There is a rumor going around that we might be in Logan the first weekend in May for Dusty to graduate. Hope you will be in town!

    ReplyDelete

I Really Like My Kids

I don’t just love my kids.  I like them.  I homeschooled for the obvious reasons everyone does; better education, control over what they ar...