Wednesday, January 2, 2013

How's it Going So Far?

We've been home 4 days so far and things are going pretty well.  It is surprisingly quiet around my house at the moment but the decibels are soon to start back up, I'm sure.  

Funny moments:  First words from Sam after getting off the plane in 60 degree Florida, "I'm cold."  Well, it's -6 here today, so....
  Sam didn't think snow was real when he saw snippets of it in Texas while driving in the car..."It's not real, they just painted it," he said.  He's pretty aware of it's existence at this point.

Food issues:
Sam likes almost everything, however not the waffles I served this morning and not (oh, the blasphemy) cheese on his hamburger.  Alto is a quite a bit pickier and, surprisingly,  his favorite food so far has been salad with ranch dressing.  I finally broke down and attempted some "Haitian spaghetti" today.  Success...Alto loved it!
Parenting challenges:  

We have already had "run-ins" with both boys.  No worries, as usual...Mom won!  

Sam woke up to a very quiet house this morning.  He was afraid we had all had left him so he locked the door to his room and began to cry.  Tony found him and Sam and I spent the morning curled up in a blanket on the rocking chair.  Haiti is one constant ball of loudness but it never dawned on me that he has never woken up to a quiet morning in all of his life and wouldn't know how to respond.

School:
My older kids started school today and Sam immediately said he wanted to as well, so he started writing today, the boy wants to learn cursive...full speed ahead, I say.  We assessed his math capabilities and it seems he is somewhere in the middle of 2nd grade (I'll need to order different workbooks.)  Alto, on the other hand, has zero interest so far.
Alto and Holly.  They are quickly becoming good friends.
I crocheted each of the boys an blanket.  Sam's is fluorescent yellow and he loves it.  

Sledding!!
Yesterday, we had a "come and meet Sam and Alto" day and invited all of our friends to come sledding.  They had a blast and it was a great way for them to meet everyone in a non-awkward way.  It didn't take long for Sam to attempt the ramps (which I unsuccessfully don't allow my children to go on) and debut his flying skills.  He said, "Mom, on what day will we do this again?"  Alto found a little hill to chill out on by himself and had a blast as well.
Tony and Sam getting ready for Sam's first ride down the hill.

Aubrey and Alto.

Sam and Joshua making friends.

Old friends too...Aub and Rylan.

Alto headed back up the hill.



1 comment:

  1. So glad you are posting about how things are going. I know there will be challenges ahead. But you all will be blessed by their addition to your family, as I"m sure you already have. Keep the updates coming.

    ReplyDelete

I Really Like My Kids

I don’t just love my kids.  I like them.  I homeschooled for the obvious reasons everyone does; better education, control over what they ar...